Let's Talk Trashy
Posted on June 12 2018
Here's the cold, hard facts:
- Six million tons of debris enters the world's oceans every year, weighing about the same as a million elephants!
- Plastics are the most common man made objects sighted at sea, with 18,000 pieces of plastic litter floating on every square kilometer of the world's oceans!
- Plastic bottles take over 450 years to break down.
- One million seabirds are killed by marine litter every year.
- 100,000 turtles and marine mammals, such as dolphins, whales and seals, are killed by plastic marine litter every year around the world.
- More than 260 animal species worldwide have become entangled in or consumed fishing line, nets, ropes and other discarded equipment.
By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
What you can do to help: